Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Last Chance for Points Challenge

This tournament was run by TADGA, the Toledo, Ohio area disc golf club. It was called the Last Chance for Points Challenge, because it was the last, scheduled PDGA sanctioned tournament in Michigan, and the third-from-last in the United States, for 2007. "Points" are achieved in PDGA sanctioned evets by attending tournaments and beating people playing in your division.

Here's a picture taken by Mary Egbert of the Ann Arbor club, of Avery Jenkins' group. He won the Open Pro division.

Even though I was well into a bad cold, I made myself go out and play in 25-mph-wind-blown snow squalls in sub-freezing temperatures because I had discovered that I was second among all of the amateur old guys (Senior Grand Masters) in the world in points for 2007. Frank Grimes of Illinois had more. I needed 38 points to take first place, which meant that in a B-Tier event I needed to beat 5 Advanced Ams.

Well, I played terribly, placing 15th out of 20, but I did beat 5 Advanced Ams, to take the lead by 7 points.

Unfortunately, today I discovered that Frank Grimes had some unreported points and he is now at 703, 29 ahead of me.

And the price I paid was a relapse of my terrible cold. I have been so sick all week!

What a dilemma! The only sanctioned event yet this year is in Huntsville, Alabama this coming weekend. I may be there.

Update: Nope, not going. I decided to spend the money on a year's worth of hosting and premium services for a new niche social network, Disc Golfer USA.

No comments: